Topic: ABC 123 Won't Launch On Vista (even after Vista Updater)

I just purchased and installed ABC 123 for my son from Amazon after he loved the demo we downloaded from your site.

The demo worked fine, however there seem to be problems with the full version.  When we put the CD in, it asked us if we wanted to install, but did nothing when we said yes.

I was able to get it to install by manually browsing the the Giggles-ABC123_setup.  However, after it was installed clicking on the icon on the desktop (or in the start menu) caused the wait cursor to occur briefly but nothing else happened (nor does the app appear in Task Manager).  I rebooted, installed the Vista Updater and rebooted again but still got no response from trying to launch the app.

Finally (figuring maybe the demo had caused the problem), I uninstalled the DEMO, uninstalled the Vista Updater, uninstalled the full version, rebooted, installed the full version, installed the Vista Updater and rebooted but still get no response trying to launch the app.

I am running Vista Ultimate x64 with a "5.5 Windows Experience Index", an Intel Core2 Duo E6750, 4 GB RAM, and a NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 640 MB. 

Can you help me?  I am an extremely technical user and do not mind gathering any additional information, or following complicated steps to try to find a solution.

Re: ABC 123 Won't Launch On Vista (even after Vista Updater)

Hi Kevin,

Definitely an odd occurrance - once you install the full version and then install the Vista update, everything should work no problem at all. Sometimes people need to restart after applying the updater, but you're indicating you've done that.

The only other thing that comes to mind besides what you've already tried, is making certain you're installing while logged in to the computer as the administrator - and installing into the admin account. This is not always necessary, but on some configurations it is.

It does sound to me as though you've got something on the system that is not compatible though. For example, you should have never had to browse to the set-up program and installed that way. Do you have some very specific security or other more advanced settings or configurations working on that machine? Especially somethign that won't let different components get installed in different locations on the computer?

Tim

Have a great day!

[b]Customer Service & Support
Giggles Computer Funtime For Baby™[/b]

As help for others who may experience general problems installing in Vista, here is a set of simple instructions that will fix just about all problems. Windows Vista can be a real nightmare to install any software into. But we're certain this will get the program installed for anyone having difficulties.

Start over by following the steps outlined below:

1) Navigate to the Giggles directory within your Start Menu and choose to Uninstall the program completely.
2) After the program is completely uninstalled, restart your computer.
3) Place the original install CD into the drive and install the program on your computer. At the end of the install, be sure that the "launch" program button is UNCHECKED. After quitting the installer, DO NOT try to launch or open the program yet.
4) Restart your computer.
5) Download the Windows Vista Updater for the Giggles program you own from our website at http://www.giggles.net/downloads.php  (Be sure to choose "save as..." and save the file to your desktop - you cannot "run" it from our website).  After downloading the updater, you'll need to run that updater and it will install the update on your computer. When that is complete, make sure the "launch" button is not checked if you see one, and do not try to launch the program yet after quitting the installer.
6) Restart your computer.

Everything should now function as expected and the program should work from this point forward. Let me know if you have and further difficulties.

Have a great day!

Hello Support,

I have followed all of these steps exactly as described (several times) and still my program will not run.  When I try to launch the program a screen appears with the following:

"This program cannot find the required components to run properly.  Please reinstall the program from the original installer CD or original installer file."

The strange thing is that the program worked the first time I installed it, but it did things to other aspects of my computer (e.g. removing start menu options) so I had to uninstall it.  That's when I realized that I needed to download the Vista update.  Now that I am following the steps with the update, I cannot get it to work.

Please advise.

The error screen you're seeing is the result of the program not finding the components it needs to operate. This typically occurs when installing the program from an unauthorized and/or copied Giggles CD, or from trying to copy the program from one computer to another.

Receiving that error actually means that the program is functioning correctly - that is an error from within the program itself.

You must install Giggles using an original factory CD purchased from an authorized reseller.

If that is being done, following the instructions above will definitely make it work within Vista, provided you have a typical/common Vista system and computer. And EVERY step must be followed exactly in the order indicated - nothing can be skipped.

Other notes: if you're using a 64-bit version of Vista, we do not support the higher bit rate versions. **EDIT** 10/09 - the Vista updater from our site now updates the program to be FULLY compatible with 64-bit versions of Vista as well.

It may also be possible you have something else very specific to your computer that is conflicting with the program. Is that computer used for anything unusual or for high-end programming, video editing, or audio editing?

Have a great day!

I am having the exact issue.... I have a orginal disc. I have tried all steps above and uninstalled, reinstalled and nothing....

Giggles Support wrote:

3) Place the original install CD into the drive and install the program on your computer. At the end of the install, be sure that the "launch" program button is UNCHECKED. After quitting the installer, DO NOT try to launch or open the program yet.

Mine will not even installed. it goes to a screen to pick englis/spanish. When I click on English it does nothing.

Hi,

Please contact me directly via email at support@giggles.net - I'm certain I can get everything working correctly for you. There are a couple of issues with some of the older original install CD's and the latest Windows system versions. We do have a fix for this and will get you up and running.

Best,
Tim

Have a great day!